We Fight For Financial Stability
United Way fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
By securing housing and other basic needs for struggling families, we are helping people get back on their feet. A path to financial empowerment starts with access to services, job-skills training, and money management programs.
Breaking the Cycle
What decisions would you make with limited resources? Experience the same unexpected dilemmas and choices that millions of families living in poverty face every day.
Program Partners Spotlight
United Way partners with and provides funding to the following local organizations to increase financial stability in the Blackhawk Region:
- Adult Basic Education Program [ABE/GED] (Stateline Literacy Council-Beloit, Inc.)
- Alternatives to Violence (YWCA Rock County)
- AWARE (Community Action Inc.)
- Beloit Domestic Violence Survivor Center (Family Services of Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois Inc.)
- Child Care (YWCA Rock County)
- Client Services (Edgerton Community Outreach)
- Community Employment (KANDU Industries Inc.)
- Disaster Services (American Red Cross of Southwest Wisconsin)
- ECHO Way Home (ECHO Inc.)
- Emergency Assistance Program (The Salvation Army Rock County – Beloit)
- Emergency Shelter for Homeless Families (Family Promise of Greater Beloit)
- English Language Learner Program [ELL] (Stateline Literacy Council-Beloit, Inc.)
- Family Social Services Assistance (The Salvation Army Rock County – Janesville)
- Fatherhood Initiative (Community Action Inc.)
- Feeding Program (The Salvation Army Rock County – Beloit)
- Food Pantry (Edgerton Community Outreach)
- Fresh Start (Community Action Inc.)
- Home Delivered Meals (Beloit Meals on Wheels)
- Immigrant Outreach Services (YWCA Rock County)
- Ruger Site Tuition Assistance (Janesville Community Day Care Center Inc.)
- Senior Program (Community Action Inc./Merrill Community Center)
- Seniors Volunteering for Seniors (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Rock County Inc.)
- S.M.I.L.E.S. Scholarship Fund (Special Methods In Learning Equine Skills, Inc. – SMILES)
- Transitional Living Program (Community Action Inc.)
- Transitions for Women (YWCA Rock County)
United Way also invests in the following financial stability initiatives:
ALICE: A Study of Financial Hardship in Wisconsin
The United Way ALICE Initiative is a collaborative research effort identifying and communicating the needs of the voiceless part of our communities; allowing for local change-makers to understand, measure, and advance change to improve the lives of ALICE households, ultimately strengthening our communities.
MyFreeTaxes across the United States
MyFreeTaxes provides free federal and state tax preparation and filing assistance for qualifying individuals and families. Through the partnership of United Way and H&R Block, it is the first online initiative allowing free federal and state tax prep and filing in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Individuals or families with a household income of $66,000 or less can prepare and file taxes for free on MyFreeTaxes.com.
Only one in five people who qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) take advantage of it. Many do not even know they qualify. That’s why MyFreeTaxes promotes critical tax credits like the EITC and Child Credit.